From Our Collection
Birmingham City Transport JOJ 245 - Post War Single Decker
Reg No: JOJ 245 - new 1950
Operator: Birmingham City Transport
Chassis: Leyland Tiger PS2/1
Engine: Leyland 0600
JOJ 245 was one of 35 Weymann-bodied Leyland buses that renewed Birmingham City Transport's tiny single-deck fleet after World War Two. The order was placed in 1947 but post-war shortages meant they could not be delivered until 1950. The bodies were originally to be built by Birmingham-based Metro-Cammell but the order was switched to the other partner in the MCW organisation, Weymann.
The bus ran for BCT until May 1969. For around half this time it ran from Selly Oak garage which operated Birmingham's 27 route, serving the world famous Cadbury factory in Bournville. The rest of its career was at other garages (Harborne, Liverpool Street, Birchfield Road and Perry Barr), primarily on Education Dept contracts for children with special needs.
It passed to Great Wyrley Secondary School in January 1971 and to Long Eaton 18 Plus Group in November 1976. Birmingham bus employees formed a society that became known as the Acocks Green Bus Preservation Group and purchased JOJ 245 in November 1979. The Acocks Green group was based at the Transport Museum, Wythall and gave it an extremely thorough restoration. The bus was passed to the Wythall museum in March 2015.